How do I change the permissions on a file or folder through HostMySite.com’s Control Panel?
The following article explains how to modify permissions of files or directories within a
Windows based website through HostMySite.com’s Control Panel. The permissions are for the IUSR,
which is the username assigned to an Internet user looking at a website. To be able to write to a
file or folder within a website, such as a database file or an uploads folder,
that file or folder must be given Modify permissions for the IUSR.
To change the permissions for a file or folder, please follow these steps:
- Open a browser window and go to www.HostMySite.com
- Click on Control Panel Login.
- Log into HostMySite.com’s Control Panel as one of the following:
- Account Administrator and select the appropriate domain
- Technical Contact for the domain
- Click on Website Administration and select File Permissions.
- Choose the File or folder.
Note: If the file or folder is in a sub-folder, select the parent folder and click Open Directory to navigate.
- Click Manage Permissions (this may take a few seconds to load).
- Select the Permissions for the IUSR (Internet user) account.
- Read – allows a viewer to see the file or folder
- Write – allows a viewer to write to a file or folder
- Modify – allows a viewer to update a file or folder
- Full – gives the view full permission over the file or folder
- Apply to all sub folders and files – only available for a folder, applies the permissions to all files and directories within that folder
- Click Update Permissions.
Note: You will not be able to modify the permissions on the root websites folder because of security reasons. If you believe you need the permissions on your root websites folder changed, you will need to contact email@example.com.