How do I use the Basic DNS Manager?
The following article explains how to use the basic DNS manager to add, modify and remove DNS records for your domain name. You also have the option to add and manage DNS information for your additional domain names and domain name pointers. Please use caution when working with your DNS records as you could potentially disable your domain name.
To manage your DNS records, please follow these steps:
- Open a browser window and go to www.HostMySite.com
- Click on Control Panel Login.
- Log into the Control Panel as one of the following:
- Account Administrator and select the appropriate domain
- Technical Contact for the domain
- Click on Domain Name Administration and select DNS Administration.
- If you have more than one domain, select the appropriate domain name from the list shown. If you have a large number of domain names, you can use the search feature or click Click here to see a list of all your domains.
- Click on Basic DNS Administration next to the name of the domain you want to manage. If you currently do not have a DNS record for this domain, you will be prompted to add a new zone (see instructions below).
To add a new DNS zone for your domain name, please follow these steps:
- Click Add New Zone.
- Enter the IP Address where you would like your domain name to point.
- Select the location where your mail (MX) record will point:
- Domain Name: points your mail to the domain name of the mail server you wish to use, for example, mail1.safesecureweb.com
- IP Address: points your mail to the IP address of the mail server you wish to use
- No MX record: if email is not available for this domain name, use this option
- Based on your selection in step 3, enter the domain name or IP Address of the new mail server location.
- Click Submit.
To update your DNS records, please follow these steps:
- Select the action from the following menu you wish to perform and click Next.
- Point http://www.yourdomainname.com to a new IP address: this option will point your domain name to a new IP address (use caution as this can disable your site if you do not point it to the correct IP address)
- Add an alias to my website: this option will allow you to create an additional name based on your domain name, and point it to your website, for example admin.yourdomainname.com
- Not using HostMySite's mailservers?: this option will allow you to point your mail record to a different mail server (use caution as this can disable your email if you do not point the mail record to the correct mail server)
- Add wildcard DNS record: this option will allow you to create a wildcard record for your domain that lets any name to be placed in front of your domain name, for example name1.yourdomainname.com, name2.yourdomainname.com, name3.yourdomainname.com